Friday, December 1, 2017

27 Reading Reflection No 3

How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams

This book was multifaceted in the way that it had many themes and many takeaways; however the main theme seemed to be telling readers how important it is to prioritize what is important in order to achieve success for yourself. An example of a tip that Adams gives you is to optimize your personal energy in such a way that you set yourself up to be of a mindset to succeed, whether that means taking breaks or choosing the right environment to work to best boost productivity.
It connected with what I’ve learned in this class in the way that Adams lets you know of both his successes and his failures and how a positive mindset is not optional. He teaches about how going after something and really putting your mind to pursuing that goal is the only way you’ll increase your chance of actually getting there. All in all, he stressed the importance of having the right mentality, the mentality for success.
If I had to design an exercise for this class, it would be to describe a time of failure but from a funny or humorous point of view as well as what one would do to pick themselves up from the fall. This would definitely help people learn to embrace failure and use it to propel themselves forward the way Adams proposes, rather than letting it hold them back. I know I need help in this area as well and I’m sure I’m not the only one with that issue.

What really surprised me about this book was how Adams seemed to draw the relationship between passion and success. I was under the impression that it was passion that caused success, however Adams says that its actually the other way around with success leading to renewed passion. I can see how that would be true seeing as how success has always rejuvenated and strengthened my own passion in many aspects of my life. It was surprising but refreshing to look at success from that perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment